Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Veg tanned leather

So here’s an idea:

since you already have different colours of leather for the Soso patches; could you ask your supplier for leather collars/sleeve cuffs/bottom hems/elbow patches... those are the first things that wear out on my (work)jackets and I have asked my local cobbler to fix my cuffs by sewing on a leather cuff.  I can already imagine a heavyweight denim jacket with leather cuffs, elbow patches and collar, maybe even the bottom trim? It would age so beautifully!! ☺️

Quote from FrederickVDW on November 1, 2020, 1:03 pm

So here’s an idea:

since you already have different colours of leather for the Soso patches; could you ask your supplier for leather collars/sleeve cuffs/bottom hems/elbow patches... those are the first things that wear out on my (work)jackets and I have asked my local cobbler to fix my cuffs by sewing on a leather cuff.  I can already imagine a heavyweight denim jacket with leather cuffs, elbow patches and collar, maybe even the bottom trim? It would age so beautifully!! ☺️

This makes me happy to read. I have never thought of it but now when you mention it, it sounds so logical to for us to add, especially since we are getting more and more requests to expand what we offer in terms of "workwear".

So it would need to be thinner and more flexible/softer than our 1.8mm patches, correct? You have any experience or specifications you could give me?

Will discuss this with the team.

FrederickVDW has reacted to this post.
FrederickVDW

Hi Jannis,

I don’t think you should worry about the thickness of the leather. After all, it’s a leather trimming and it will see extensive wear and flexing; it will become soft and pliable after a while.
I will upload a picture later this day of what I did to one of my waxed cotton work jackets.

Quote from FrederickVDW on November 2, 2020, 5:21 am

Hi Jannis,

I don’t think you should worry about the thickness of the leather. After all, it’s a leather trimming and it will see extensive wear and flexing; it will become soft and pliable after a while.
I will upload a picture later this day of what I did to one of my waxed cotton work jackets.

Yes please do

Here’s an example, my local cobbler did this for me but sadly the leather is not thick enough, and it curls up

Uploaded files:
  • 2C1D7629-CC6F-47C7-B64A-24AF20348B1D.jpeg

As you can see the jacket is well worn, the cuffs were blown and frayed. Bottom hem is also fraying and the collar has discoloured.
if those things would have been made out of leather, they would have aged beautifully! This jacket is from the mid sixties but I still use it everyday at work. It was my grandfather’s actually ☺️

Uploaded files:
  • 2085F2AA-F394-4C7B-ABCD-BDC5DCEEDF02.jpeg
Quote from FrederickVDW on November 2, 2020, 4:39 pm

As you can see the jacket is well worn, the cuffs were blown and frayed. Bottom hem is also fraying and the collar has discoloured.
if those things would have been made out of leather, they would have aged beautifully! This jacket is from the mid sixties but I still use it everyday at work. It was my grandfather’s actually ☺️

yeah, thanks for these. Will definitely look into the possibility of adding leather in certain areas as reinforcement.

FrederickVDW has reacted to this post.
FrederickVDW

How about the whole jacket made out of leather?

Quote from Raw Denim Well Done on November 28, 2020, 9:09 pm

Brilliant, how has nobody ever thought about that?!

Raw Denim Well Done has reacted to this post.
Raw Denim Well Done

Quote from FrederickVDW on November 29, 2020, 2:48 am

Brilliant, how has nobody ever thought about that?!

We have been talking about it for 2021 but we dont want to place our selves in the $1000+ category so it takes some planning

hanlon84 and Raw Denim Well Done have reacted to this post.
hanlon84Raw Denim Well Done